Re: Souper script

From: Robert P. Rush (bobr@mcs.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:07:44 -0600

Hi,

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 22:25:14 -0500,
In article <auC6yM+e6cXT088yn@gol.com>,
guru@gol.com (Gururaj Rao) wrote:
>Hello Yarners,
[...]
>Now comes the difficult part for me. I'd like to automate the
>process of retrieving mail and news, uploading mail and news,
>logging off and reading mail and news in Yarn 0.89, just as I
>used to do with my Shell account. And here comes the question
>that shows my ignorance - how do you write a batch file that
>runs a Windows program, to wit, Souper? Or, how do you run
>Souper so that mail and news are automatically collected, and
>replies if any uploaded?
>
>Will some kind soul throw some light on this matter, and if
>possible attach his/her script to relieve me from this misery?

Unfortunately, Microsoft made it very difficult to control Windows
programs from a batch file in Windows 3.x. There are a few "WinRun"
programs that will start a Windows program from a DOS window. I'll
probably release my own version once I've written some documentation
for it.

Two additional problems I've found with the winrun programs (including
my own), is that they're not one-hundred percent reliable and they do
not return any status code.

You might check out one of the shareware or commercial batch programs
for Windows such as WinBatch. I think you would have more control and
capabilities running Windows programs from a Windows batch file than
from a dos batch file.

Use the program Managers File / New command to create an icon for each
mail-run Icon you want. The command line should include the -i and the
-g command line options.

Command Line: C:\dir\souper.exe -iacme -g -s
Working Directory: C:\dir
Shortcut Key: None

Replace "acme" with the name of the setup you want to use.

Most slip/ppp dialer programs have a setting to automatically call out
when a program tries to connect to the Internet.

You will still have to unpack your replies packet before running
Souper. That's one of the next features to be added to Souper along
with commands to execute before and after uploading/downloading.

Talk with you later,

bob

--
Bob Rush                    | eschew obfuscation
bobr@mcs.com                |

"There is no suspense in the bang, only the anticipation of it." -- Alfred Hitchcock