Re: regular expression to kill Lines:

From: Phil Crown (pcrown@airmail.net)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:58:43 -0600

>On Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:36:57 -0600, pcrown@airmail.net (Phil Crown) wrote:
> :
>> I think I've tried this, but can't remember the results. It may work,
>> but I was trying to do it in one line instead three.
> :
>
>Not sure if this is even possible with regular expressions (I am not a
>theoretical computer scientist...). There are some extensions to
>regexps which allow specification of an iterator, i.e. match the
>preceding expression 1-3 times or so. With such a construct it would
>be easy to obtain the effect you are desireing. Without, I doubt that
>it is possible.

Yes, the extensions confused me, since I'm not even sure what the
standard is.

Also, what the difference between grep, egrep, and fgrep?

I think egrep = e[xtended?]grep. But what is fgrep?

I'm now using these to kill messages with lines <= 99

Header ^Lines: [0-9]$
Header ^Lines: [0-9][0-9]$

Add one more [0-9] to make it kill lines <= 999.

--
Phil Crown
pcrown@airmail.net