Re: REQ: display and allow modifying From: header

From: Phil Crown (pcrown@airmail.net)
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 12:49:51 -0600

>Well, I have to comment... for your browser to send a cookie containing
>your email address back to a server, the server had to have already
>sent the information as a cookie to your browser. all the cookie does

I was wondering how the server gets the email address.

I've heard, for example, that when I try to ftp a file with a web
browser, *some* servers will finger me first, if the finger fails the
the ftp transfer will never start. This is why OS/2's Web Explorer
fails to ftp from some sites, it doesn't accept the finger, or
something like that. Web Explorer doesn't support cookies either. :-)

>is allow servers to save some info *that they already know* about you
>in your browser. No other server can access that info.
>
>This is mostly used to allow per-user customizations of sites.
>
>I should point out that all servers that I know of log who comes in and
>what pages they look at already - this is done outside of any cookie
>stuff. (who in this case being the ip address)

ok, so the server doesn't know exactly who I am if I have a dynamic ip?

--
Phil Crown
pcrown@airmail.net