Re: REQ: display and allow modifying From: header

From: Dave Lewis (dave@lim.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:14:10 -0600

> >Well, I have to comment... for your browser to send a cookie containing
> >your email address back to a server, the server had to have already
> >sent the information as a cookie to your browser. all the cookie does
>
> I was wondering how the server gets the email address.
>
> I've heard, for example, that when I try to ftp a file with a web
> browser, *some* servers will finger me first, if the finger fails the
> the ftp transfer will never start. This is why OS/2's Web Explorer
> fails to ftp from some sites, it doesn't accept the finger, or
> something like that. Web Explorer doesn't support cookies either. :-)
>

> >is allow servers to save some info *that they already know* about you
> >in your browser. No other server can access that info.
> >
> >This is mostly used to allow per-user customizations of sites.
> >
> >I should point out that all servers that I know of log who comes in and
> >what pages they look at already - this is done outside of any cookie
> >stuff. (who in this case being the ip address)
>
> ok, so the server doesn't know exactly who I am if I have a dynamic ip?
>

> >dave
> >

> --
> Phil Crown
> pcrown@airmail.net
> http://web2.airmail.net/pcrown/

I believe that some sites require that your ip address be resolvable into
a domain name (I am a little fuzzy about this), and thus if you have a dynamic
ip you won't be served by those sites.

In general, servers do not know who you are unless you tell them. Many sites
use proxy servers, so all http requests from that site appear to come from
a single ip address. There are some mechanisms which can identify you, but
you have to set this up, and I think its a hassle. This is related to being
able to do secure transactions, I think.

I don't think it can be understated that it is now possible to gather a lot
of info about a person by doing various serches on the net. If you have
ever entered your email address into somebody's form, along with name etc. then
there is potential for this stuff to pop up anywhere.

I have noted, for instance, that for some mailing lists, you can finger the list
address and get back a full list of the email addresses of the members.

At any rate, web browsing does not appear to me to be any more "dangerous"
(cookies or no cookies) than many other things, and less than a lot of them.

For instance, if you telnet to another site over the net, anybody who is
"sniffing" packets can get your password because its right there in the packets.

dave