Re: REQ: display and allow modifying From: header

From: Phil Crown (pcrown@airmail.net)
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 15:38:21 -0600

>In article <2bM1yo3qBu4d092yn@airmail.net>,
>pcrown@airmail.net (Phil Crown) wrote:
>> >Two suggestions about web useage:
>> >1) Never accept any cookies that information including an email address
>> >goes back to the cookie sender,
>>
>> How can you tell when a cookie is sending this information?
>
>Netscape 3.0 has a switch to enable warnings when cookies are sent.
>You can then choose to accept or reject the cookie. I believe you
>can also switch it to "Never accept cookies."

I don't think the OS/2 version of Netscape has this option.

>In older versions for Windows, you can make the file COOKIES.TXT
>read-only (in your Netscape directory) and then Netscape can't store
>the information there.

For now, I use a batch (.cmd) file to load Netscape, which deletes
cookies.txt before loading NS. I'm not sure how effective this is, but
its better always loading the same old cookies.txt.

>I believe the Anonymizer <http://www.anonymizer.com/> also sets a
>cookie when you use the "snoop" script, and it lists all the information
>that it can get from you. Well worth a visit if you are concerned
>about your privacy.

This is interesting, I'll take a look.

--
Phil Crown