Re: REQ: display and allow modifying From: header

From: Dave Lewis (dave@lim.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:53:29 -0600

> Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:22:46 -0600
> Sender: owner-yarn-list@lists.colorado.edu
> From: pcrown@airmail.net (Phil Crown)
>
> >Two suggestions about web useage:
> >1) Never accept any cookies that information including an email address
> >goes back to the cookie sender,
>
> How can you tell when a cookie is sending this information?
>

> --
> Phil Crown
> pcrown@airmail.net
> http://web2.airmail.net/pcrown/

Well, I have to comment... for your browser to send a cookie containing
your email address back to a server, the server had to have already
sent the information as a cookie to your browser. all the cookie does
is allow servers to save some info *that they already know* about you
in your browser. No other server can access that info.

This is mostly used to allow per-user customizations of sites.

I should point out that all servers that I know of log who comes in and
what pages they look at already - this is done outside of any cookie
stuff. (who in this case being the ip address)

dave