Re: 3 questions/problems/suggestions about v. 0.91

Yngvar Folling (yngvar.folling@login.eunet.no)
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 11:33:20 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <BkOVy4Cx6IPI091yn@login.dknet.dk>,
hero@login.dknet.dk (Henrik Roseno) wrote:

> >Yes expire will eventually reduce the news.dat file. To reduce it
> >immediatly - run REBUILD to rebuild the spool file.
>
> Thank you for the idea!

Warning: If you use this, you can't use expire -o later, because it
resets all expiration dates as if you imported all articles just now.
You have to use expire -r to expire all read articles, so you can't go
back to look at an old article later.

> That's not the problem. The problem is that the Lines-column is empty.
> Actually your mail is the first mail since april, that has shown a
> number in the Lines-column...?!

Obviously because his message was written with Yarn, which *does* put
the "Lines:" field in the header of mail messages as well. I don't know
any other mailer that does.

> uqwk +m +n +x +L -Nuqwknewsrc

I have with time come to suspect that uqwk -Nxxxx does not work
correctly. Check if it is your uqwknewsrc file or your .newsrc file
that is updated after you run the script, by checking which one has the
most recent date stamp.

Then, try to see if it works if you rename uqwknewsrc to .newsrc and
skip the -N option.

> zip -mk9 offline AREAS *.MSG

Small trifle, and certainly nothing to do with your problems. I used
the -9 option in zip for a while, until I realized that the extra time
spent for the additional compression was *more* than I saved during
download. Of course, if the computer you connect to is faster, or you
have a slow modem, it might be different for you.

Yngvar