Re: Text Editors?

Debra Walker (debraw@wwa.com)
Fri, 04 Oct 1996 22:47:34 -0500

On Fri, 04 Oct 1996 10:36:26 -0500, in yarn.list,
article <67SVyMEYs4ZW092yn@xc.org>, you wrote:

>I am new to souper yarn for dos and win95 and am wondering which
>text editors are being used well with yarn and also yes version 0.20?
>I am basically trying to get something that works better than the
>editor that comes with dos.

I am currently using not GNU for DOS (1.9). This is the not the GNU
Emacs editor. It is similar to GNU Emacs, but it is not as complex. I
really like it, and it works well with Yarn and YES. The price is
right (free!), and I have had no problems running the program under
Win95. This editor does not seem to suck up a lot of resources under
Win95, and, to me, for news/mail reading/writing, not GNU for DOS is
very simple, fast, and reliable. Of course, I am biased, because I
have grown accustomed to running various flavors of EMACS editors over
the past couple of years. Once you get a handle on a few keystroke
combinations for editing messages and articles, it's a breeze :)...

I have forgotten the name of the distribution file, but the
executable is called dnot.exe. I found it recently by searching on
www.shareware.com, and it is apparently available on SimTel mirrors.
There are also Win95/NT and Windows 3.x versions, too (wnot.exe and
nnot.exe, I think), if you are interested.

I am sure that you will get other suggestions for text editors, as
well. Try a few of them, and you will eventually find the one(s) that
you prefer.

Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of Yarn, YES, and Souper
:).

Debra Walker

--
Debra Walker         debraw@wwa.com