Re: Milti Leval Filtering?

From: walt moffett (walt@scott.net)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 20:36:54 -0500

In article <xt95yUQy8cZa092yn@execpc.com>,
bpaddock@execpc.com (Bob Paddock) wrote:
>How can I do muiti-leval filtering?
>
>One some lists there are a couple of people that have good
>stuff to say, and the rest I just delete (No its not this
>list).
>
>Say I import my mail to the newsgroup "DOG". Messages from
>"Rick" in "DOG" I want to be moved to a Folder.
>
>How can I do this?

Here's another alternative, in the newsgroup score file have the following
lines:

-1 pattern from: $
2 from: rick

This would mark as read all the messages in the group and show only rick's
posts.

The advantage to this approach is that any articles that reference his
post are still there in the news group and readable by either scoring the
thread or by pressing enter to enter the group and view all the read
messages. Sometimes, a post is meaningless unless you read it in context.
Also, the group would still be subject to the expire runs and save you
from having a humongous folder.