Re: Error message when doing expire.

From: Hardy Griech (rgriech@ibm.net)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:40:11 +0100

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997 19:22:02 -0500,
hello-yarners@see.my.sig (Tim Myddleton) wrote:
:
> Irony of Ironies! I just broke down and wrote Chin asking him if he could
> provide more detail in his error messages so i could go in and try to
> figure out what is happening! Here I am guilty of the same thing! <-:
:

I doubt, that there is an easy || fast way to output more meaningful
messages: the messages are generated by the compiler (more exact the
preprocessor is inserting them). If I did not miss anything the
messages are assertions. Those are included very easy into your code,
like:

assert( pipapo > 0 );

if this assertion fails (because pipapo is actually <= 0) the C
library will output something like:

assertion ( pipapo > 0 ) failed. Source file 'xyz.c', line number 1234.

If I am remembering correctly this is more or less what the people
around are experiencing on expire failure. BTW I never had such an
assertion failure - perhaps you have to do something illegal to the
news database to get such a message?

Hardy

PS: expire seems to be written in C/C++.

--
Hardy Griech, Kurt-Schumacher-Str. 25/1, D-72762 Reutlingen