Re: Error message when doing expire.

From: Joni Boren (jonib@tripnet.se)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 13:53:27 +0100

In article <qtJ2ygHAAgDR092yn@y.z>,
hello-yarners@see.my.sig (Tim Moddleten) wrote:

>Did you run YARNPACK with the /I switch when you packed, or before you
>packed? I should make that the default i think.
>
>Trying to think of what might be occurring -- I think perhaps if you run
>Yarnpack without the /I switch (to do integrity checks first), what is
>happening is your history.pag may be "out of sync" to start with...

I did run YarnPack /I before and it was OK then after Expire -r and it was now
"out of sync".

>>Rebuild -h right after YarnPack i don't get this error and everyting seems
>>to be OK.
>
>Seems to indicate that some entries in the the history.pag are may being
>updated... under some circumstances. (which shouldn't be too serious --
>shouldn't corrupt the actual news.dat -- but running rebuild to fix it then
>resets the dates which cancels the benefit of yarnpack <G> catch 22).

It does help a little you don't need any extra disk space with YarnPack that
you would need with Rebuild -s.

>>I would like to see the starting time of YarnPack, see how loong it's been
>>running and an estimated time it will finish.
>
>If you use 4dos you could do: timer^yarnpack^timer
>(-:

I use 4dos and i use timer often but it don't give me an estimated time as it
runs so that i know how long it mite take.

>An alternate method would be having a clock on the wall near the computer.
>(-:
>
>Heh. Smart ass programmers, don't you hate them! (-:

-.-
When the programmer does utilities like nnign and YarnPack NO. :) `-'