Re: Delayed edit?

Judy Stein (jstein@cnct.com)
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 01:04:03 -0400

sew@televar.com (Steve Washam) wrote Re: Delayed edit?:

> BTW, thanks for the excellent description of how the Replies
> folder works which you posted previously.

You're more than welcome. Bear in mind this is *only* with
reference to Yarn .79; the file structure and setup may be
entirely different in .91.

> >There's something else I haven't tried that occurrred to me might
> >be possible. Save replies you want to hold to a special folder,
> >and delete them from the REPLIES folder. When you want to put
> >the held replies back into the REPLIES folder, from DOS (before
> >you run Yarn) rename the MAILED folder to something else, and
> >rename the special folder to MAILED. Then run Yarn, and simply
> >resend all the replies in the MAILED folder (the renamed special
> >folder). Then when you exit Yarn, rename the folders back the
> >way they were; next time you run Yarn, copy the replies you
> >actually sent out (which will have been saved to the special
> >folder while it was renamed MAILED) into the original MAILED
> >folder and delete the special folder (this step isn't necessary
> >unless you want your MAILED folder to be a complete record).
> >

> [...]
>
> >And all of this is in terms of Yarn .79. I have no idea whether
> >any of these kludges would work with later versions.
> >
> >I still think the easiest thing to do is flag the replies you
> >want to hold by putting some searchable text in the reply itself
> >or its subject heading, deleting it from the REPLIES folder, and
> >then resending it later from the MAILED folder.
> >
> >(All "resend" means above is copying something into the REPLIES
> >folder; it doesn't get actually *sent* until you upload the
> >replies packet and run it through uqwk.)
>
> I'm getting a little bit confused by the terms here. Replies
> really isn't a folder; its a subdirectory as you pointed out
> previously.

OK, I left the quotes in in case others were confused as well.
Wherever in what I wrote I referred to the REPLIES folder, I was
referring to the *temporary* folder that's created when you run
Yarn...

> One can copy a folder (being a file) into the Replies
> subdirectory and cause it to be named news or mail.

...NOT to any files per se. Everything I talked about above
occurs *within* Yarn, while Yarn is running, *except* for
renaming the folders, which you have to do (with Yarn .79) from
DOS after exiting Yarn. You don't have to do nuthin' in the
temporary Replies subdirectory a-tall. (You'd have to do it by
shelling to DOS from within Yarn anyway, since the subdirectory
exists only when Yarn is running. I think it would confuse Yarn
a *lot*.)

The reason for doing the renaming is that Yarn will *resend*
articles/messages from the folders named POSTED and MAILED, but
*only* from those folders. However, there's no difference
between the way the files constituting these folders are
structured from any other folders in the MAIL directory; any
folder/file you want to call MAILED or POSTED, Yarn will be able
to resend articles or messages from. It looks only for the
file/folder name to decide whether it's going to let you resend
or not. (I tried this out since my last post, and it worked
fine.)

Assuming the
> folder file structures are identical and also that Yarn is not
> relying on any other information then Yarn would create a packet
> from these (news and mail) folder files.

NO, the MAILED folder/file structure is not identical to the
MAIL.MSG file that gets zipped up into the reply packet, nor is
the POSTED folder/file structure identical to the NEWS.MSG file
that gets zipped up into the reply packet. The *.MSG files are
created from whatever you put into the temporary REPLIES folder
when you're in Yarn, i.e., when you reply to an article or
message. A *copy* of what goes in these *.MSG files is put into
the POSTED and MAILED folders, but I'm virtually positive there's
some different coding involved, even if it doesn't show up when
you look at the files in DOS.

You could try it, but I think you'd have problems.

+ Judy Stein * The Author's Friend * jstein@cnct.com +