Re: expire -o -d xx <newsgroup> ABNORMAL TERMINATION

Michael Gray (LabRat@i-link.net)
Sat, 05 Oct 1996 11:09:20 -0500

In article <FmgUyo3qByVU092yn@airmail.net>,
pcrown@airmail.net (Phil Crown) wrote:
>I just noticed expire.exe (OS/2 version) experienced an ABNORMAL
>TERMINATION. Looks like a grunged offset in the SOUP news.dat file?
>(see below).
>
>I just started using the "-o -d xx <newsgroup>" with switch with expire,
>so I suspect that this may be where the problem is, since I've *never*
>had this happen before. (so it maybe the offset in news.dat is okay, but
>for some reason these switches cause problems in memory??).

I had this problem infrequently. In my case, I think (ow, there goes
my headache again) the problem arises when I run out of disk space on
a packet download. Binaries take up SO MUCH room. This gives me a
false header and mungs up my newsbase. When the bad articles expire,
then I start getting errors, along with the false pointers I've
mentioned here before.

>I usually only run "expire -r."

Maybe these were messages that were masked by the -r flag but show up
in -o? Score values can have a factor in this scheme.

>I've seen other of other people mention this, but I think it was the DOS
>version of Yarn.

Not just the DOS version.

>The command line was run from a .cmd file, which included,
>
>expire -o -d 60 alt.binaries.pictures.football 60 expired
>rebuild -s
>
>Assertion failed: blk.prev + free.size + sizeof(BlockHeader) == delOffset, file
>..\SPOOLFIL.CPP, line 235
>ABNORMAL TERMINATION
>
>Rebuilding spool file d:\HOME\YARN\news.dat
>Article at offset 4012549 has size 1836016430. Skipped 2072 bytes.
> this probably had something
> to do with it? :-?
You betcha.

--