And now for something completely almost different... (Re: REQ: display and allow modifying From: hea

From: Yarf! Yerf! Yarf! Yyrf! (testing3@see.my.sig)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 05:54:35 -0500

Reading this thread on modifying the From: header has, i'm afraid, prodded
me into action, again. I too have often wanted this miraculous ability to
be able to edit "From:" while editing messages. I too loath spam -- and in
fact, I hardly get any anymore, with my screwed up headers -- and having
removed my email address from my web pages...

But I do feel bad sometimes sending personal email to poor souls who become
utterly confused -- utterly confused -- they become completely and utterly
confused -- because of my messed up headers. You wouldn't believe some of
the experiences i've had, torturing poor unsuspecting people with my
random, often changing, headers... sometimes quite sad and tragic, in fact.

ANYHOW... down to business. I have wanted to write this little hack program
for quite a while, but never got around to it. Seeing people here, finally,
with the same concerns i finally set to it -- very simple program -- the
part that took the longest to program is the parsing of its config file.
And writing up some docs!

What this program will allow people to do is set up a different "From"
field for email than is used in usenet (ie, any message where there is a
"newsgroups" header).

But, it will also do more -- i like things to be configurable. You can
configure it to automatically put different "from" fields based on any
search pattern in your headers... so you could potentially have different
"From"'s for various newsgroups, or different poeple you email ... whatever
you want. You can set up to sixty different search patterns! Hopefully
that's enough for you!

It's small, it's fast, it's easy to install (i hope). It's yet another
hack. (-: Where will it all end? It comes in OS/2 and DOS flavours.

It's not very thoroughly tested. (-: In fact this message i'm writing right
now is another a test, the last in a series (hopefully) that has been
ongoing tonight. I wrote the thing over the last two nights, just finishing
it up tonight earlier... and just want to get it out of my hair... so...
for those interested... it seems to be working...

www.io.org/~tm/files/yarf10.zip

BTW, it's called YARF! (-: Yarf! Yarf!

Yes, i'll be changing the above "From:" field soon! (-:

--
  Tim Muddletun =-=-= you do not want to know =-=-= as544 torfree.net
  -=-=-=-= read Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky =-=-=-=-