Re: Listing of articles in Yarn v. 0.92

From: Yngvar Folling (yngvar.folling@login.eunet.no)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 21:54:35 +0100 (MET)

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.970103141140.19039A-100000@zap.io.org>,
Chin Huang <cthuang@io.org> wrote:

> The appearance of a thread tree when articles are sorted by score was a
> mistake in version 0.91. When the article list is sorted by score,
> creating a thread tree is implausible because the articles belonging to a
> thread may be separated by a wide range of scores.

I have a number of score rules that go by things other than the subject,
so I often get different values for different articles in the same
thread. And when sorting by score, the thread tree in 0.91 ended up a
mess.

Still, I think there would be merit in being able to have a newsgroup
threaded *and* sorted by score, if you could find a good way to
implement it. Obviously, any thread would have to be treated as one
unit when sorting. Maybe simply adding up all the scores of the
individual articles?

Conversely, I've found it annoying that there's no way to keep all
articles in a newsgroup unthreaded *and* appearing in their arrival
order. The closest thing to a substitute would be to delete the local
score file -- or in the presence of a global score file exactly reverse
the scores from that in the local score file -- and switch to sorting by
score *and* arrival order.

I think there ought to be two separate switches. One to turn threading
on and off, and *another* to switch between sorting by arrival and
subject order (and I think sorting by sender is something else I'd
want). Maybe even a third to turn sorting by score on and off, instead
of integrating that with one of the others.

Yngvar