Re: Souper hiways & byways

James Huang (james@sn.no)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:27:54 +0200

In mail.yarn, article <xbsZyUNOfqjV092yn@wwa.com>, debraw@wwa.com (Debra
Walker) wrote:

snip ...

> >Mine does not time out but it does take more time to fetch news and
> >mail as compared to the uqwk setup I used earlier.
>
> I don't run NT, but I do run Win95.

The comms process over RAS/DUN is the same for both those OSes.

> Often, I have noticed that, if I use my comm program (QmodemPro 95) to
> log on to my shell account (my ISP account is a shell/PPP combo), then
> retrieving mail and news seems to be much faster than when I run
> Souper95.

I used to run QmodemPro (DOS). Did not use my copy of QmodemPro 95
because I did (will?) not find the time to go play with the new
scripting language.

> Perhaps, this has to do with some overhead from running Win95 and DUN
> (Dial-Up Networking) when using Souper95. Also, I notice faster
> access times for Web sites and data transfers, as well, when I log on
> to the shell account with the comm program, using lynx, and then
> downloading files to the PC.

This could be the reason as Souper95 is doing its processing on our
systems instead of letting the ISPs system do the grunt work.

> I can't explain any of this, since I am not a programmer,

Me neither. <g>

> >Thanks. That does answer my questions.
>
> Well, I am happy that I could help you, if only somewhat.

Every little bit of help is a big step for me. <g>

> At least, I am real sure of how the kill/score file works in Souper95
> :) ... In the simplest terms, I think it trims the fat from your news
> packet.

I have currently just a couple of lines there but that will surely
increase with time. I have quite a few others just "waiting in the
wings".

> And, as your kill expressions in your score file increase and/or work
> effectively, then your news packets get smaller. My kill/score file
> gets edited regularly lately, and I have seen, for example, 500
> downloadable articles get whittled down to 200 or less. I just love
> the way it all works in Souper95 :)...

Being a rather recent "convert" to Yarn95 and Souper95 I must say that I
am impressed with the capabilities despite it being a plain command-line
prog.

> It seems to put most of the Windows-based news/mail programs that I
> have used to shame.

I have not tried that many windows based progs but those that I have
have not satisfied my requirements.

> Anyway... Good luck, and ENJOY!

Thanks again.

Regards,