Re: Delayed edit?

Judy Stein (jstein@cnct.com)
Sat, 05 Oct 1996 19:16:21 -0400

sew@televar.com (Steve Washam) wrote Re: Delayed edit?:
> In article <DM8Loq2BbsPO079yn@cnct.com>, jstein@cnct.com (Judy Stein) wrote:
> > sew@televar.com (Steve Washam) wrote Re: Delayed edit?:
>
> [...]
>
> >> But I still think it would be nice to have an an outbox capable
> >> of holding replies.
> >
> >You do. It's called the Replies folder. <grin>
>
> Ho Ho! I _meant_, where one could _hold_ some replies while
> sending others.

Ah! OK, another kludge I've used is to make a copy of my reply
packet. I load the first copy into Yarn and delete the replies I
want to hold, then exit and rename the packet; then I load the
second copy into Yarn and delete everything *except* the replies
I want to hold.

There's something else I haven't tried that occurrred to me might
be possible. Save replies you want to hold to a special folder,
and delete them from the REPLIES folder. When you want to put
the held replies back into the REPLIES folder, from DOS (before
you run Yarn) rename the MAILED folder to something else, and
rename the special folder to MAILED. Then run Yarn, and simply
resend all the replies in the MAILED folder (the renamed special
folder). Then when you exit Yarn, rename the folders back the
way they were; next time you run Yarn, copy the replies you
actually sent out (which will have been saved to the special
folder while it was renamed MAILED) into the original MAILED
folder and delete the special folder (this step isn't necessary
unless you want your MAILED folder to be a complete record).

I don't know whether this will work or not. I'm guessing there's
nothing special about the MAILED folder except its name, so that
the resend feature would work with any folder if you named it
MAILED. If I'm wrong, I'm not sure what would happen--hopefully
you just wouldn't be able to resend anything from the folder, but
it's not impossible it would cause problems.

And all of this is in terms of Yarn .79. I have no idea whether
any of these kludges would work with later versions.

I still think the easiest thing to do is flag the replies you
want to hold by putting some searchable text in the reply itself
or its subject heading, deleting it from the REPLIES folder, and
then resending it later from the MAILED folder.

(All "resend" means above is copying something into the REPLIES
folder; it doesn't get actually *sent* until you upload the
replies packet and run it through uqwk.)

+ Judy Stein * The Author's Friend * jstein@cnct.com +