Re: MIME Enabled YARN (OS/2): Pointer

walt moffett (walt@scott.net)
Sun, 04 Aug 1996 14:55:56 -0500

>In article <tBp/xMzgEGaJ091yn@ibm.net>, robinkk@ibm.net (Robin
>Klitscher) wrote:
>
>> Though written primarily to support his YarnDial utility, the author
>> has included in his doc some clear and helpful stuff not only on the
>> inscrutability of METAMAIL but also on setting up Souper/Yarn in the
>> first place, and tuning it .....
>
>Anyone who can help me with a blow-by-blow description on getting Souper
>95 running under either Win95 or NT?

Here's what I did,

unzip etc

copy souper95.com c:\windows\command
(maybe souper95.exe c:\windows\command\souper.exe ?)

mkdir c:\home

created two files newsrc (list of groups I wanted) kill (the souper kill
file) in c:\home

install yarn as per instructions. Use adduser to set home as my home dir.

connect via DUN to my newserver

open a MS-DOS command prompt

entered the following commands:

cd c:\temp

set NNTPSERVER=news.foo.wherever.com

souper -N c:\home\newsrc -K c:\home\kill -k0 pop3.mail.server name password

import -u

yarn

Once it works might want to add the set NNTPSERVER to your autoexec.bat
or create a batch file containing these commands with a desktop shotcut
pointing to it. Also might need to fiddle with the msdos properties to
get something you like.

>Having run Yarn in some years under DOS with Qmodem as my transport
>medium I am now looking at fetching my mail and news over PPP. I have
>fetched Souper 95 but the docs refer to a OS/2 install. Or I am blind?

No, not blind. However, the command line switches are the same.