Re: Getting GPF on souper when I send/receive

Robert P. Rush (bobr@mcs.com)
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 21:38:57 -0500

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 23:50:44 -0700,
In article <EPFAygKaNqKC090yn@slonet.org>,
pbonucci@slonet.org (Peter A. Bonucci) wrote:
>I've just installed Souper and I'm getting GPFs
>
>Whenever I try to send a soup packet, I get a GPF in file BC402RTL.DLL
>at 0001:460D.
>
>Whenever I try to receive a soup packet, I get a GPF at 0001:47B5.
>
>Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.
>
>This is under windows 3.1.

The address you mention points to code in Souper for Windows version
0.4 that reads the 'souper.ini' file. I would assume that one of the
lines in your 'souper.ini' is either too long or is corrupt. I would
assume that the GPF in BC492RTL.DLL is due to the same problem.

To fix it, you'll have to use a text editor to edit the souper.ini file
in your windows directory. Normally, Souper will do all the necessary
modifications and you should never have to edit this file directly, But
since Souper's choking, you'll have to do it yourself.

In the souper.ini file:

The setup name is limited to 31 characters, not including the '[' or
']'s. The total length of the line would be limited to 33
characters. Your version of windows may be more restrictive.
[SetupName]

The maximum lengths of the following parameters do not include
anything preceding the '=' sign. I.e. the length of the host name
is ten, the length of the domain name is four, and the length of the
combined host and domain name is fourteen characters. (Before
someone flames me for forgetting the dot in between the host and
domain name, I didn't, the 254 accounts for it.)

The combination of the host name and the domain name must be less
than 254 characters long.
HostName=pr.mcs.com
DomainName=bobr

The server names, user name and password must be less than 510
characters long.
NntpServer=news.mcs.net
MailGateway=smtp.mcs.net
PopServer=popmail.mcs.net
PopUser=bobr
PopPassword=<password deleted>

The file and directory names must be less than 79 characters long.

Newsrc=c:\yarn\souper\nsrc-get
KillFile=C:\YARN\SOUPER\KILL-get
Incoming=C:\YARN\SOUPER\INCOMING
Outgoing=C:\YARN\SOUPER\OUTGOING

All of the other entries are numbers and should not have text after
the '=' sign.
AskForPassword=0
MaxPacket=4096
KillLength=0
GetMail=257
GetNews=257
GetSummaries=256
GetGroups=1
ReadOnly=0
ProcXref=1
SendReply=0

If you can't eliminate the GPF's by changing the souper.ini file,
attach a copy of it to an email message to me. Remember to change or
delete your password in the copy before you send it.

Talk with you later,

bob

--
Bob Rush                    | eschew obfuscation
bobr@mcs.com                |

Architecture is the art of how to waste space.