Re: ANNOUNCE: Souper version 1.6 beta 1

Richard Steiner (rsteiner@skypoint.com)
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 00:31:43 -0500

Here in list.yarn, rronkin@cpcug.org (R. R. Ronkin) spake unto us, saying:

>In article <iJRIyc6r371O092yn@io.org>, cthuang@io.org (Chin Huang) wrote:
>>Souper is a network mail and news client program which creates a SOUP
>>packet from mail and news fetched from a POP3 server and NNTP server
>>respectively. It can also send messages in SOUP reply packets.
>
>Sorry; you've lost me. So far I've been very happy with Yarn under OS/2,
>using uqwk to get news and mail from my Internet Service Provider
>without fully understanding what is going on.

That's the same method I use, FWIW... :-)

>Will you please explain whether I need the information in your message?
>Many thanks.

Not really, unless you lose access to uqwk on your provider.

Souper does essentially the same thing that uqwk does -- it connects to
the newsserver via the nntp protocol, and to the mail server via the pop3
protocol, it grabs the current news/mail, and it converts the gathered
material into a SOUP packet for Yarn to play with.

It also handles the reverse (processes reply packets and tosses the new
mailings/postings to the apppropriate servers).

--
-Rich Steiner  >>>--->  rsteiner@skypoint.com  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
      Written offline using PC Yarn + Yep + FTE under OS/2 Warp