Re: expire problems os/2 flavor

Michael Gray (LabRat@i-link.net)
Wed, 07 Aug 1996 20:06:25 -0500

In article <4c/BygB7CVYD091yn@scott.net>, walt@scott.net (walt moffett) wrote:
>has any one seen this error as a result of expire -o -d9?
>
>rec.auto.tech 0 expired
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.announce 0 expired
>7 (99%)
>Article at offset 7653129 has size 1937204558. Skipped 1727 bytes.
>7 articles (12642 bytes) deleted.
>
>doing an expire -r zaps the read articles with no problems.
>
>I plan on zapping the yarn dir and re installing. However, if anyone
>knows of a util that will work to fix the news spool on a hpfs parition
>Pls don't hesitate to apply the clue stick.
>
>As to how it got there, it might have something to do with a control C I
>did during import.

I seem to be getting a lot more of these recently. My solution was to
run rebuild -s to fix the database, reset all history and overview
files (I think). Of course, you need at least 2X the size of your
news spool to do this. This may be overkill, but it will take care of
any problems you may be having. In my case, the error soon brought on
attribution errors in import, which is why I did the -s rebuild. I
got my problem with too little disk space on a souper download, then
trying to import that packet without checking.

--
* LabRat@i-link.net                  * Just because you're paranoid doesn't *
* Michael.Gray@1201.ima.infomail.com * mean they're not out to get you      *